Changes at Cal Lutheran as County Moves to "Red Tier"
Dear Cal Lutheran Community,
Yesterday, the County of Ventura moved to the State’s Red Tier. Ventura’s move followed Los Angeles County’s and Alameda County’s similar move over the past weekend. In each case, the move from Purple to Red was due to a combination of declining case counts and the emerging benefits of widespread vaccines.
Now that we are in the Red Tier, County guidelines allow each of our campuses to offer and participate in additional activities. As we move into this Tier, Cal Lutheran will continue to maintain—on each of its campuses—our mask mandates, physical distancing, and infection control practices. For details and sector-specific health guidance including higher education, visit covid19.ca.gov.
Given that we are in Red Tier, we please note the following changes.
Thousand Oaks Campus – Immediate Changes:
- Starbucks has opened limited indoor dining.
- Ullman Dining has opened limited indoor dining.
Thousand Oaks Campus – Changes as of March 22, 2021
- While outdoor meetings are still the preferred mode of mask to mask interactions, physically-distanced indoor meetings will be allowed in multipurpose spaces and conference rooms. Indoor meetings must follow capacity guidelines that are posted in each room/space. When possible, individuals are encouraged to open a window in the room during the meeting or hold in-person.
- Student advising may be held indoors following the “indoor meeting” guidance above. Conference rooms can be used for student advising since faculty offices are not large enough for physical distancing. Organizers should still consider using outdoor spaces.
- Outdoor activities may be held with up to 100 participants.
Thousand Oaks Campus – Changes as of March 29, 2021
- Staff will be asked to be on campus so that offices are staffed at 50% capacity. All administrative offices are expected to be open from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM on workdays. Department supervisors should schedule workers based on meeting that criteria and based on COVID realities such as maintaining proper physical distancing, wearing masks, and ensuring that all functional areas can continue to function in the event of a COVID exposure.
- Indoor lecture may be held in rooms at 25% capacity. Classes must follow capacity guidelines that are posted on each classroom.
- Laboratories, art classes, and performing arts classes may be held indoors as long as all students and faculty maintain six foot physical distancing. Classes must also follow capacity guidelines that are posted on each space. Additionally, performing arts classes must follow Los Angeles County instructions regarding instruction and performance. Those instructions can be found here.
- Depending on demand, Pearson Library study space may be adjusted to add additional seating.
- The Forrest Fitness Center will open indoor fitness activities to 10% of capacity. Physical distancing and masking will be required for all individuals.
- The Student Union will open to 25% capacity allowing small groups to gather for studying, group projects, and socializing. Capacity guidelines will be posted, physical distancing and masks still required.
Westlake Campus – Changes as of March 24, 2021
- HUB 101 will reopen. All individuals will be required to maintain six foot social distancing and masking.
Other Campuses – No immediate changes are planned for Oxnard, Woodland Hills, and PLTS
Questions regarding upcoming changes can either be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Ryan Van Ommeren.
Operations needs regarding classroom or office needs (furniture arrangement, cleaning supplies, etc.) should be addressed to email@example.com.
Ryan Van Ommeren
Director, Emergency Operations Center
- Information for Students Who Will Be Attending Summer Classes
Thu May 13, 2021
Beginning in late May, Cal Lutheran will start offering summer classes on our main campus and at our Woodland Hills and Oxnard campus. The following outlines protocols for in-person class attendance.
- Services and Facilities Available in Thousand Oaks and Oxnard
Wed May 12, 2021
Find operating hours and information on how to access services on campus.
- Vaccine Eligibility in California (and Mobile Testing Trailer at Thousand Oaks Campus on April 19)
Thu April 15, 2021
California has opened COVID vaccine eligibility to all Californians 16 and up starting today, April 15, 2021. Cal Lutheran has been and continues to be a strong advocate of inoculating the campus community.
- Changes at Cal Lutheran as Counties Move to "Orange Tier"
Thu April 8, 2021
As was the case when Ventura County transitioned from the Purple to Red Tier, this transition relaxes some of the Covid-related guidelines for meetings, events, and building occupancies.
- Changes at Cal Lutheran as County Moves to "Red Tier"
Thu March 18, 2021
Yesterday, the County of Ventura moved to the State’s Red Tier. The move from Purple to Red was due to a combination of declining case counts and the emerging benefits of widespread vaccines.
- Plans for the Fall 2021 Semester
Fri March 12, 2021
We anticipate holding in-person classes for our traditional undergraduate students, having well over 1,000 students living in on-campus residential facilities, and sponsoring a wide range of co-curricular activities.
- Vaccines for Cal Lutheran employees/ Vacunas para los empleados de Cal Lutheran
Tue February 23, 2021
There is good news regarding Cal Lutheran employees' access to the COVID-19 vaccination.
- Commencement information
Mon February 22, 2021
Drive-in ceremonies at the Ventura County Fairgrounds in May will honor '20 and '21 graduates.
- Outdoor classroom information
Wed February 10, 2021
Information about outdoor classrooms on our Thousand Oaks campus.
- Health Protocols for Spring
Tue February 9, 2021
Additional measures we have taken for spring semester as part of our slow and cautious reopening plan.